Saturday, August 3, 2013

From Regret to Authentic Life

In truth, I can not figure out how I came across this particular post by James Wells, but I'm glad I did. In his post "From Regret to Authentic Life: A Tarot Spread" James shared a five-card spread he created that was inspired by Bronnie Ware, the author of The Top Five Regrets of the Dying and a "fruitful online conversation" about the book. (I might note that I intend to obtain a copy of this book as soon as possible.)


1. How can I remain true to myself?
2. How can I remember to set work aside for other important things?
3. How can I develop and maintain the courage to express my feelings?
4. How can I remember to stay in touch with people whom I love and value?
5. How can I demonstrate my choice to be happy?

Card 1 - The Lovers


A major Arcana card. I have always been a follow your heart type of girl, sometimes allowing intuition and emotions to rule. In the past few years I have learned consider all motives and consequences before making a choice. With this method of decision making I have learned there is a bountiful difference between fear and love OR as one wise friend said "fear OF love." My interpretation of The Lovers is the clarification of  my set beliefs of following the heart, however still remaining aware of all surrounding elements. In other words - don't jump to conclusions or make spontaneous choices I may later regret heart-fully.

Card 2 - King of Cups


One of my favorite cards in context of a balance and the ability to handle all challenges with a graceful intellect. Six months ago I had a very troublesome time managing sixteen hours of managing a store and raising children. In fact, I worked so much that I became physically ill and left - voluntarily. Prior to this position and presently I have always taken such pride in my ability to manage my time effectively - without a routine or list. I believe the King of Cups presence in my spread is a nudge to remember the vast importance of assuring everything is well balanced, well approached, and done with intellect.

Card 3 - Three of Swords


The Three of Swords is calling me out on a character trait of mine - not speaking up. If I'm hurt, I don't share it. If I'm angry, I don't share it. If I'm unhappy, I don't share it. Anything negative is seeded deeply inside of me and from past lessons - can boil over at any given moment. I believe the Three of Swords presence is a warning, telling me that I do not open up and share (express) myself I am bound to reach that boiling point. 


Card 4 - Six of Cups



This card threw me for a loop in truth. I was not quite sure how to interpret it, but, I did reflect on it and try to make some sense of it's presence. I must accept my current, present circumstances instead of spending so much time thinking about the past. While the past and the "good times" DO in fact make me happy, that is not helping me make new "good" memories. I believe the Six of Cups is reminding me to be conscious of my past while being alive and aware of my present.


Card 5 - The Chariot



Sign of Cancer and Element of Water - both of mine. The Chariot shows my true worth with it's presence. I am characteristically determined, controlled, and well disciplined. I can approach nearly any situation with a calm demeanor and empathetic heart. But, most importantly - I believe in me and that alone - is how I choose to express my happiness.


This was a reflective reading for me. I found myself frowning and smiling, but, as we all know that sometimes Tarot doesn't show you what you WANT to see and instead shows what you NEED to see. 

Thank you James for the wonderful spread I will use and share with others. 

With Love,

Mandy



No comments:

Post a Comment